Understanding the Exemptions from Overtime Pay Law
Find a Chicago, Illinois Lawyer to Recover Your Owed Overtime Pay
There are many exemptions — or exceptions — from Federal, Illinois and other state overtime laws. Whether any of the exemptions from overtime pay law apply to your employment depends on how you are paid and the specific job duties that you perform in your job. Job title alone never determines your right to overtime pay.
Several categories of employment carry specific regulations regarding overtime exemptions, including:
- White collar employee exemptions
- Highly compensated employee exemption
- Computer employee exemption
- Outside sales employees exemption
- Commissioned retail sales exemption
- Motor carrier exemption
- Employees in hospitals and special care
- Blue collar workers
- Police, fire fighters, paramedics and other first responders
- Independent contractor exemption
An extensive list of the exempt status of specific jobs is also located on this website. If you have questions about whether you are entitled to overtime pay, contact our office via phone, email, or schedule an in-person consultation.
Chicago Overtime Law Attorney
If you have questions regarding overtime pay law, contact Werman Salas P.C. to learn more about your rights. Prospective clients can schedule an appointment by calling 877-419-1008 or by completing our contact form.